Become a Personal Chef
As you begin your journey, USPCA will provide you with all of the tools necessary to become a successful Personal Chef. Our Preparatory Membership gives you all of the benefits you expect from the largest and most supportive association for Personal Chefs in North America, it also gives you access to experts who will guide you through your first year. You don’t need to spend a fortune on training. You don’t need to jump through any hoops. Join the USPCA and get the support you need to be successful.
Preparatory Membership in USPCA offers a comprehensive set of extra benefits for the trained chef looking to start a Personal Chef business. From self-guided training to personal coaching, Preparatory Membership provides the guidance for chefs to work and learn. The cost is $595, and members will automatically transfer to Premier Membership or Provisional Membership upon successful completion of the series of programs adding access to the association’s liability insurance and HireAChef.com listing in addition to all other benefits of membership.
Preparatory Membership includes…
- A copy of Personal Chef 1-2-3 with assessment from Culinary Business Institute. This program provides focused educational training dedicated exclusively to the science of “successful business” in culinary endeavors. Follow the easy to grasp, easy to follow, easy to apply steps and you will soon be operating a profitable Personal Chef Service.
- A 30-minute one-on-one session with Chef Monica Thomas, a Certified Personal Chef, long-time member of the USPCA, former Personal Chef of the Year, and owner of Tailored Taste Personal Chef Service.
- A 45-minute web tutorial with social media and website expert Rochelle Barcellona of Barcellona Brand. Rochelle will help you structure your online presence and ensure you have an actionable strategy for success.
- Access to an online food handler training program through National Registry of Food Safety Professionals. Successful completion of the program assures your clients that you have completed a basic course in food safety.
- Instructional videos from Chef Monica Thomas, designed specifically for the new Personal Chef. These information-packed videos cover A Day in the Life of a Personal Chef, The Basics of a Personal Chef Business, and Business Beyond Cooking.
- One hour of business tutoring from a senior member of the USPCA.
- Access to the USPCA’s private Facebook group “I am a Personal Chef.” This is a private group, exclusive to members of the United States Personal Chef Association. Connect with experienced members of the USPCA to learn cooking techniques and develop your business ideas.. Share tips and recipes, and network with your fellow kitchen entrepreneurs.
- Downloadable contracts and templates, which will springboard your Personal Chef business to a successful start. Don’t waste time creating vital business documents from scratch.
- Special discount on National Personal Chef Conference. Join your Personal Chefs from around the world each year for three days of outstanding education, speakers, demonstrations and hands-on experiences, tastings, dining and…most important, NETWORK building.
- Published quarterly, Personal Chef Magazine provides a wealth of business, culinary and personal stories to enrich your business and personal lives. It comes to you in print and is available in a special digital format for members.
- A biweekly newsletter, Kitchen Entrepreneur, which brings you the latest cooking and business news from around the web as well as critical association updates.
- Discounts on the full range of USPCA partner products, including GoDaddy, KitchenAid, VMatter Knives, and more.
More Training Options
Tailored Taste Personal Chef Coaching
Receive one-on-one email, video, and telephone training/coaching. Chef Monica Thomas, a Certified Personal Chef, is a long-time member of the USPCA and owner of Tailored Taste Personal Chef Service in the Washington, D.C. area. She has a thriving Personal Chef business and has successfully worked with many chefs and helped them navigate the intricacies and challenges of starting and being effective as a Personal Chef. You can purchase single hours or save with an 8-hour block. With her coaching, you may cover topics such as:
• What is a “typical” Personal Chef service
• The difference between a 5×4 or a 4×6 service and what services you are interested in promoting
• What to take in your Personal Chef kit
• Contracts, food questionnaires, and client expectations
• Effective costing
• Fresh serve, refrigerate and/or freezing options within your own particular business
• Any other questions or issues you are having with your chef business
USPCA members receive discounts on 1-hour and 8-hour blocks.Choose from one of the options at the bottom of the page to get started (members must sign in to view discounted prices). If you have any questions about getting started, contact Angela Prather at 800-995-2138 x705 or email@example.com.
1-2-3 Training Manuals from the Culinary Business Institute
Culinary Business Institute programs provide focused educational training dedicated exclusively to the science of “successful business” in culinary endeavors. Our programs and materials provide clear, real world knowledge and time-tested methods for success by successful culinary professionals from across North America.Whether you seek the independence as a Personal Chef, the satisfaction of providing dinner parties and/or in-home culinary instruction, or need to expand your existing culinary business to include a commercial kitchen, the Culinary Business Institute programs are your source for expert knowledge and guidance. Members receive exclusive discounts on these books.
How To Start A Home-Based Personal Chef Business by Denise Vivaldo
Denise is a great friend of the USPCA and has written an easy-to-read, practical look at what it takes to be a Personal Chef. From estimating your start-up costs and finding clients to cooking for special needs and staying profitable, this book takes you through every aspect of setting up and running a thriving home-based Personal Chef business.
Whether you’re just starting to learn the trade or are an experienced chef looking to be your own boss, each chapter will guide you on how to build your own successful Personal Chef business.Members receive an exclusive discount on this book.